Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Broome Time

Lets see if I can get much of this straight my picutres have been a help in sorting out the order.  The first night we arrived in Broome Sharon and I were both exhausted so it was early to bed.  The next day we were keen to go exploring and just wandered around for a bit.  We were magically drawn to the ocean since it is awesome and ended up at the town beach.  We chilled for a bit and then since it was so hot we decided to run through the kiddy sprinkler area.  There were a couple of stationary water guns that I had a mini water fight with some kids at.  The two guns couldn't really reach each other, but I accidentally wandered in between them while they were both being manned by a couple of kids.  Urged on by both Sharon and their Dad they managed to soak my through and through.  I got my revenge on Sharon by holding her under a tippy bucket when it dropped its water.  After that we were actually quite comfortable for a quite a while, but unfortunately got lost trying to find our way back to the hostel and Sharon ended up with big bruises, or red marks from her wet shorts.  I got the last laugh that time.



An interesting situation we observed on our walk was these two cars.  The one further in had no apparent exit without moving the car behind it.


That night we went down to the beach again to observe the Staircase to the Moon Phenomenon.  While it was not the most exciting scene, it was rather unique, and much like watching a sunrise or sunset, cool just not exciting.  Many people we had met at the hostel seemed to find the event underwhelming, as though they were expecting something more spectacular.
The next day was when I met my new BFF Dazz and another Aussie who is doing the big lap, Ben.  I think he and Sharon had been talking a bit already but I was cooking or about to cook some lunch and it was looking like we would have too much, again as I always seem to do, so I invited him to share the meal with us.  Turns out that he would not only play with me, games like frisbee, soccer and ping pong, but he also had a vehicle and instead of renting a scooter Sharon and I ended up getting rides from him to go to the beach.  We also played a lot of "That's what SHE said"  and laughed our asses off at jokes about men with no arms and no legs (not actual people with no arms or legs, it's mostly just a red herring).  We went and played some frisbee on the beach, which I turned out to be a lot worse at than what I remember, more wind lighter disc, that's my excuse.

Even though I felt pretty wiped when Dazz asked if I was up for going down to the beach the next day I agreed, and then a couple more girls got added to our group, Nicole from Sydney and Catherine from England.  One of them had reminded me I wanted to build a sandcastle while in Broome since the beach there is perfect for it.  We had a little picnic then got down to business, I mostly dug the lake, and made building materials readily avaiable.  It was an awesome day and an awesome sunset.

Beach team, Nicole, Sharon, Myself, Ben and Cat

 The final full day we had in Broome, Sharon and I for once did things a bit seperate.  I hit the beach with Dazz where we caught up with Nicole and Cat for a little bit, just relaxing and dipping in the ocean a bit rather than running around or undertaking major building projects.  Our group as it became, with Louise, also a pome who features more in later adventures, added in there at some point went out to the open air cinema to watch the movie 'Bran Nue Day'.  It was pretty good, and cool since there was a scene that feature the cinema that we were watching the film in.  (We watched it from the set I guess!).  We had pizza together afterwards and would have sat on the grass except it was wet, so we found out why the Aboriginals around town all hung out sitting on the pavement, dry beats soft any day.


The next day we (Sharon, Louise and I) said goodbye to this great group of friends we had made in such a short time, and Hello to Chauncy and the start of roadtrip south!  That my friends is a different story.

Until Next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment