Friday, October 8, 2010

Parklife

Decided to just up and post this entry even though it messes up the order.

Oh What a day.  My companions for the day were Emily and Dexter.  Emily I had met at a hostel months and months back, while Dexter I had contacted online through the couchsurfing website and we met for the first time that day because it hadn't worked out at other times.  Emily was over around 11 and we promptly started priming, and getting me ready by cutting my hair into a beaver-tail, which is a bit of a take on a mohawk.  I ended up changing into shorts and leaving my jumper behind which I was glad of since it was so hot during the day and later when I was in the middle of the crowds.  I also prepare a bunch of food to take with us. 4 sandwiches, and a bunch of celery and carrot sticks, mmm healthy sustenance.  We headed down to the festival at about 1 and caught the performance by Washington, I really hope she makes it out of Australia, her music is awesome.  After that we were a bit lost for a while I think I busted out the sandwiches and all so that I didn't suddenly become super drunk or pass-out or anything like that.  The next hour or two is a bit fuzzy because we wandered all over the place and weren't watching anyone in particular.  I think that was when I first met some of Dexter's other friends.  The next band we watched are called the Wombats, they were really popular the crowd was packed in pretty tight and the hill overlooking the stage was full of people.  I even got to fulfill the festival cliche of lifting a girl onto my shoulders for a song, she couldn't see, I thought it was fun, win/win.  After the Wombats, Kele, the former lead singer from Bloc Party played a set.  I thought he was amazing to watch.  The amount of energy and emotion that he put into his singing was inspiring.  I definitely think that if you are going to sing, even if it's in the car or along to music you should always go for it and give it your all since this is what the best performers do anyways.  Seeing his performance made me feel as thought the $150 price tag for the event was worth every penny.  After him we went to the main stage to wait for Missy Elliot to start.  There were all these boxes on the stage that spelled out "MISSY" and to start the show a troop of dancers came out and started stacking them up to spell out her name.  At this point I turned to the person next to me and said "It would be the best thing ever if she comes out of the boxes now".  The last box was put into place, the fronts of the boxes all opened up to reveal none other than Missy Elliot herself.  I went nuts.  The best part about the performance was all the dancers she had brought along there was cool choreography, and some amazing break dancing as well.  One guy spun on his head for what seemed like a minute, it was sweet.  I missed the last bit of her performance because I had to run to the toilet again, I think I must have caught tiny bladder syndrome from Cat (or I was just paranoid about hydration).  I was lucky though because I was back in line to the main stage just as everyone who was there to watch Missy was leaving and the next two acts were good enough to watch.  2manydjs and Groove Armada.  Dexter and I somehow ended up right at the front, reunited with his friends again, we still had no idea where Emily was.  I mostly just remember yelling a lot, jumping a lot and getting a very nice compliment on having cool eyes.  Oh and wearing my sunglasses at night, because so many people were.  The stage lights are still really bright even with sunnies on.  The Groove Armada performance was a highlight as well.  The lead chick had this zany jumpsuit on and some kind of jacket that she made look like feathers or wings, she also busted out the biggest retinue of 80s dance moves I have seen since Flashdance, epic.  After they ended I stayed up front and screamed for an encore, although some people left right away.  Silly folks, the last act always gives an encore!  They came back to play their biggest hit Superstylin'.  If you don't know it, look it up, and Paper Romance, which they open with and most anything else you can get your hands on really!


I can deffinitely recommend to get the music of Washington, The Wombats, Kele, Groove Armada
I wish I could have also watched Uffie, New Young Pony Club, Bag Raiders, The Glitch Mob, Cut Copy and The Dandy Warhols.  Unfortunately you can't do everything and I was glad of the picks I made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment